This month was the University’s final organised bronze foundry pour until the end of term – which meant I had to get all my final pieces of bark sprued up and prepped for the pour if I wanted them to be used for my big sculpture!
I probably had enough pieces already cast in bronze to make the final work, however due to the organic nature of my construction methods, I wanted to be sure that I had enough variation in the pieces of bark that I could select the most suitable pieces as I went along. Working with more than I need will give me the freedom to be a little more selective.
Here is the photos of one of the final wax trees!
For some reason, I didn’t take a photo of the second wax tree before I started dipping… I must have forgotten, because I ended up quite rushed for time in the end!
I really enjoy the was working stage of the casting process, but I must admit I do get quite picky when it comes to my joins and making sure they are neat and well sealed! This means it takes me quite a long time to finish each one.
The second tree only had two larger pieces of bar of it, so I was able to attach them at a more vertical angle than some of my previous trees.
It was then time for the final ever clean up. (I will say this now – I will NOT miss this process when I leave uni!)
Although, Mark did show me a new tool which was a great help to remove some of the shell. It’s called a needle-gun scaler and here’s a little video of me trying it out!
View this post on Instagram
Mark taught me how to use a new toy today in the workshop! Using a needle-gun scaler to blast off ceramic shell from my very heavily textured bronze castings… makes life so much easier! #bronze #casting #bronzecasting #descale #needlegun #needlegunning #newtools #powertools #compressedair #anglegrinding #workshop #studio #workbench #wip #ceramicshell #castingshell #deshelling #technician #learning #university #equipment #UCAFarnham #wecreate #craftstudent #metalwork #graduate #comingtoND #ND17 #rosiewesley #explorecreaterosie
So this is my final collection of bronze bark pieces that I have produced using traditional fine art foundry techniques. All together there is about 40kg of bronze costing around £500!
As you can see, there are still some pieces that need cleaning off, and I shall have to attack these bits in the grit blaster, but other than that they’re all ready to go!
I have been playing around on the bench today with a few examples of pieces that will fit together nicely and also matching up some pieces that were originally one piece of bark, which I had to snap in half to cast.
The next step is to start fabricating some of the steel sections, so I will post an update of that in a few weeks!